Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

First Impressions

Dressing up the Entrance


When a visitor comes to your door, its their first impression of your home. We know this in our heads, but it doesn't mean we have to settle or rush. Keep looking for a pot/pots that you really love. I call it a piece of art, my husband calls it a small investment. Pots last a long time, it's what you put in them that may not!



I went to The Arbor Gate, where I had help picking out the plants that would be hardy enough to last through winter. I took pictures of the pots with me to help decide which plants would be hardy, and beautiful for the upcoming holiday season.



Since my pots are enormous, they require 4 bags of soil each, yes each! I know, I cant believe it either. I was told that Rose Soil would be the best for the type of flowers that I chose to go with.




I used regular potting soil for the bottom half (for filler) of the pot and the Rose Soil for the top half, because that is where the plants will be actually sitting.




I chose to put my "White by the Gate Camellia", which is my evergreen shrub/tree toward the back. It will sprout snow white double flowers. I cant wait! This will be a nice backdrop to the bright colored cyclamen.


I chose these trees because I can leave them in the pots for about 5 years and then replant the Camellia trees in the ground. I covered the tree roots with the rose soil and left lots of room for my cyclamen.


I carefully arranged the flowers still in their plastic pots so that they alternate in color, I want to see what it will look like before I plant them. These cyclamen will have colorful blooms all season long.


These plants are "Grandola Scarlet" and "Grandola White" cyclamen, perfect for partial shade. Now, for the final finish...


I love my new entrance and I hope you do too. Thanks for stopping by!!

No comments:

Post a Comment