Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

A Southern Snowman

Melted Snowman In Texas 


If you live in Cypress, Texas or in the surrounding area, then you know that a snowman in Texas is rare. It is very seldom that it snows here, and when it does we don't always have enough to build a snowman. Here is one you can keep around all Christmas long.


This is another one of my finds from the Nutcracker Market. I originally picked this top hat out to put on my Christmas tree but decided to go in a different direction with the tree.


I went to hobby lobby for the paint, snow and buttons.


I found this piece of wood laying around my craft drawer, which I am sure was for a project one of the the boys had, because I don't even know what it is. I layed out some newspaper on my counter and painted the wood before I did anything else, so that it would have time to dry. Be sure not to turn the painted wood over and paint the other side until the first side is dry.


I chose one of my old shirts to cut the sleeves off of. The best shirt to use is one of your husbands old dress shirts. Not because - better his than yours but because the sleeves are longer. Makes for a better scarf. I didn't think of that until later. I may go back and have a look in his closet....I'm sure he will love that.



After I cut the sleeves off at the shoulders, I turned the sleeves so that they matched up at the corners, sort of like a triangle. The sleeves magically turned into a scarf. How about that?


Next, I made slits in the ends of my scarf, for a more realistic look.



I hot glued the sleeves together at the top. 


I pulled out the twinkle fluff/faux snow and shaped it into a circle. Sat it on top of the scarf and then sat the hat on top of the fluff. I did not glue any of these items together.


I picked the biggest buttons I could find that looked like coal... you know, "two eyes made out of coal.." The Frosty the Snowman Song?


I did hot glue the buttons to the hat. Just a dab.


After his nose was dry, I stuck the nose in the fluff and put a small dab of hot glue to hold it in place.


I took him outside and placed him on a table on the porch, plugged him in and lit him up. All he is missing is a corn cob pipe! I will be on the look out for an old pipe. I might even add a patch to his scarf. Whatever I decide to do, I will show you! Have fun with your snowman! You can even do this craft with your kids or surprise them and have Not so Frosty greet them at the door! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment